Blood of Avalon
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Presentation - Plague

4 posters

Go down

A Presentation - Plague Empty A Presentation - Plague

Post by Count Morcant Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:35 pm

In a dark room lit only by flickering wall sconces, Morcant waits with a ceramic crock. When he opens it, the strong smell of alcohol offends the nostrils.

To anyone who has gathered regarding Morcant's summons about the plague, he says, "Good evening." His face, sans mask, is hidden in the depths of his hood. "I am continuing to investigate the plague epidemic. It is afflicting the peasantry more than the nobility; however, as we all know the planting is soon to begin, and if the plague impairs the planting, then this winter, everyone will suffer."

"Some interesting things to note about these rats." He uses a pair of tongs, and dips them into the crock, before he pulls out the dripping carcass of an enormous rat. "There is nothing to fear. Strong alcohol kills the impurities that breed disease, and a distillate of this potency would be poisonous to a human were they to drink it."

He sets the rat down on a tray. "The first thing to note is that these rats are exceptionally large. The only rats I have ever seen this size under ordinary circumstances are ghouls--I have not yet determined if this is the case, but shall have results on that front soon."

"Second," He gestures, "If you examine this rat, you will notice it is afflicted with boils and distensions, much like humans suffering from the plague. Rats, being of mean and verminous nature, are, by some whim of God and nature, usually immune to the impurities they spread. So that begs the question..."
Count Morcant
Count Morcant

Back to top Go down

A Presentation - Plague Empty Re: A Presentation - Plague

Post by Giric Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:49 pm

::Giric is in attendance, but he says nothing. Merely watching on.::

Giric

Back to top Go down

Post by Brother Dominic Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:11 pm

Dominic is paying careful attention and listening attentively to Morcant's presentation. He is taking thorough notes on Morcant's discussion. However, at the last sentence uttered, he speaks up, with a friendly tone of gentle correction:

"I believe you mean 'raises the question', Morcant. The expression 'Begs the question' comes from the latin, petitio principii, itself deriving from the greek τὸ ἐξ ἀρχῆς, which denotes the fallacy of assuming or taking for granted that which is being disputed in the argument at hand."
Brother Dominic
Brother Dominic

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Morcant Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:03 pm

Morcant gestures with an open hand.

"As you say. Still... what force is spreading a plague so virulent it would sicken a rat?"
Count Morcant
Count Morcant

Back to top Go down

Post by Brother Dominic Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:14 pm

"I am not as studied on the health of rats as you seem to be, but I had always imagined that it was not that rats were heartier than humans, when it came to resisting disease, but rather, that they tended to be carriers of diseases which affected the kine and did not affect them. That could easily be compatible with rats being fairly susceptible to a host of diseases of their own; just not the ones that tend to spread amongst humans.

As Aristotle taught, some predications depend on the subject of which they are predicated: saltwater can be healthy for a fish, but not for a human. But not all predications are such: the sword can cut the human as well as the fish. So, while it is curious that this disease afflicts the rats as well as the kine, that is not evidence of increased virulence or strength of the illness, but it could simply be that it affects a greater variety of substantial forms than other diseases we have seen. Have you experimented to determine whether it is more easily transmitted among humans, among rats, or more easily from rats to humans than other illnesses? Can a rat transmit it to a cat or a cur? It would be quite interesting if the disease were limited in its application to humans and rats only."
Brother Dominic
Brother Dominic

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Morcant Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:42 pm

"Worthy of study. Perhaps if we put, say, a pig, cow, cat, dog, and sheep in proximity to a collection of live plague rats to see if they developed the illness?"
Count Morcant
Count Morcant

Back to top Go down

Post by Brother Dominic Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:44 pm

"Birds as well. If migratory birds can contract this plague, that would be of keen interest to those who seek to contain its spread."
Brother Dominic
Brother Dominic

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Morcant Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:55 pm

"It is the case, in my observation, that animals likely to spread disease tend to be resistant to the miasma and impurity they generate. Else the disease would kill them before they had the opportunity to spread it. That does not preclude affliction. These rats appear to suffer symptoms of the plague, but do not die from it."

"We should also bear in mind that if an animal does not appear to suffer from the disease, that does not preclude the beast being able to spread it."
Count Morcant
Count Morcant

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Morcant Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:58 pm

((This is what happens when you have to pause in the middle of a post... you repeat yourself. Etiquette to strike the last bit.))
Count Morcant
Count Morcant

Back to top Go down

Post by Domnal Boruma Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:01 pm

Domnal speaks up from the back of the room,

"Will it pose any more danger to kill the creatures where they are found than to allow them to live?"

Domnal Boruma

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Morcant Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:56 pm

"Fire being the universal purgative, killing and burning infected rats shouldn't spread the disease. However, leaving living ones to run about..." He gestures, with one hand.

"Which brings to mind... do the plague rats transform uninfected vermin into their ilk when placed in close proximity? It's another experiment to perform. Knowledge is power."
Count Morcant
Count Morcant

Back to top Go down

Post by Brother Dominic Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:04 pm

Pray tell, Morcant, What experiments have you already performed?
Brother Dominic
Brother Dominic

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Morcant Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:12 pm

"You always have a way of asking questions that bring me up short and take me by surprise. I rather like it."

"This month I captured my specimens and performed vivisections to understand them inside and out. Now I'm beginning to observe their behavior. Unfortunately, other matters ate into my time. There is never enough time."

"But," He says, "Note the results of vivisection." He lifts a nearby tray, revealing another alcohol-preserved rat corpse, this one skillfully cut open, with its internal organs in neat array around it. All of them are damaged, covered with festering, pussy lesions.

"Aside from this, I have been attempting to determine the best treatments for the plague. I am not about to stuff a chicken in next to a man's head to draw off impurities... so the best I've come up with is ample clean water with a bit of fortifying vinegar to work up a purifying sweat, and willow-bark infusions to combat the inevitable fever."

"One thing I have noted--lancing the buboes and bleeding the patient is a poor idea. Invariably, it makes the plague worse."
Count Morcant
Count Morcant

Back to top Go down

Post by Brother Dominic Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:38 am

Dominic smiles wryly.

"In a sense, I suppose, it makes the plague better."
Brother Dominic
Brother Dominic

Back to top Go down

Post by Giric Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:53 am

:Giric will stand:

"If you don't mind an interjection. From my understanding the main population that was effected has died out, so those remaining are likely fewer in number, and more widely spread. With this in mind what do you propose is the most effective and sure method to stop the spread of the plague and minimize further deaths."

Giric

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Morcant Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:36 pm

"Simple to say, fiendishly difficult to execute. Contain or eliminate the plague-bearing rats."
Count Morcant
Count Morcant

Back to top Go down

Post by Brother Dominic Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:13 pm

Is it transmitted from afflicted humans to other humans?
Brother Dominic
Brother Dominic

Back to top Go down

Post by Giric Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:17 pm

"Would it work in reverse, if we simply kept all kine away from the afflicted areas?"

Giric

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Morcant Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:55 am

"Given the natural properties of miasma, I would say yes. It is a certainty. If a man can catch it from a diseased rat, he can certainly catch it from a diseased man. However, humans already isolate the diseased, as much as quarantine and natural aversion can isolate people. Keeping humans away from rats, though...? I'm not sure that's possible. Even if you were to say, move all the humans into a camp outside of an afflicted town, the rats would just follow them."
Count Morcant
Count Morcant

Back to top Go down

Post by Brother Dominic Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:58 am

"I have heard recent rumors of a man in Hamelin who might be able to assist with the rat problem, but I do not give them much credit."
Brother Dominic
Brother Dominic

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Morcant Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:49 pm

"Oh, THAT child-snatcher... I've crossed paths with him before. We don't want his help."
Count Morcant
Count Morcant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down