Blood of Avalon
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shared Backgrounds

+2
Admin
Fedomer the Opined
6 posters

Go down

Shared Backgrounds Empty Shared Backgrounds

Post by Fedomer the Opined Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:59 pm

Will we be using the shared backgrounds rules?

Fedomer the Opined

Back to top Go down

Shared Backgrounds Empty Re: Shared Backgrounds

Post by Admin Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:00 pm

Yes.

Admin
Admin

https://buffaloavalon.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomas the Bastard Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:02 pm

Are we capped at all on how high our shared backgrounds can go?
Thomas the Bastard
Thomas the Bastard

Back to top Go down

Post by Sigfried Le Danois Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:03 pm

I believe there is an in book restriction. your shared backgrounds can never exceed the anchor background in levels. So if you use domain and 3 people share and all have 5 domain then the cap is 15.

Sigfried Le Danois

Back to top Go down

Post by Simon Molendinarius Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:57 pm

And don't worry about consistency. We all know that when two people who make 250 coins a year pool their money, they will end up with 5,000 coins at the end of the year. It's simple addition. Laughing

Joking aside, I hope that game balance is being considered here. Does a military force 10 give 400 troops all armed with magical weapons, because that would be the assumed progression when following the current chart. Since Resources 5 gives you enough cash that Kings literally come asking for loans, what can you expect at 10, let alone 15?
This system seems great for early in the game when you need a lot of power to control things but the players don't have enough XP to manage it alone. But within a year in a game with a potential 5 XP per session there is a whole lot of room for abuse.

I'm sure the STs have some ideas for the long term, but for the moment I am faced with the reality that a duo of players willing to trust each other 100% without ever building a rapport can easily outclass anything I can bring to the table, and they grow twice as fast as I do.

Simon Molendinarius

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomas the Bastard Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:37 pm

I read it more as "If backgrounds are pooled, everyone can share what they would get normally, but among the group". Like two people with herd 5 wouldnt get exponentially more blood, but twice what lvl 5 does tp share as they like. That sort of thing.
Thomas the Bastard
Thomas the Bastard

Back to top Go down

Post by Giric Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:49 pm

Shared backgrounds works well for linear progressions, but not so well for the other backgrounds. This is something already on the sts agenda for their meeting this month, specifically regarding resources. We can look forward to a response given careful thought sometime before next game I imagine.

Giric

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomas the Bastard Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:56 am

If I can make a static challenge lower than 0 with shared backgrounds (like lore or ritual research), do I still need to chop?
Thomas the Bastard
Thomas the Bastard

Back to top Go down

Post by Giric Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:43 pm

Not all backgrounds can be pooled, so I imagine that removes some of those circumstances.

For where it does apply, that is interesting. I wonder what the ruling will be.

Giric

Back to top Go down

Post by Sigfried Le Danois Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:18 pm

Mentor is explicitly one of the ones that can't be pooled and I know that is one of te ones that makes rituals easier. I imagine the lab one might be unpoolable since it's a single building kind of deal but that one can go either way.

Sigfried Le Danois

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down