Blood of Avalon
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ending of your powers

+5
Kendra of the Wood
Sigfried Le Danois
Vala
Giric
Valance
9 posters

Go down

Ending of your powers Empty Ending of your powers

Post by Valance Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:13 pm

Can we bring in the rule from the new system where you can spend a simple action (or just an action or some steps w/e) to end a power you have active? EG Fedomere can end his majesty with an action rather then having to wait the scene / hour or attacking someone.

Valance

Back to top Go down

Ending of your powers Empty Re: Ending of your powers

Post by Guest Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:25 pm

Seems like an action in combat or a moment's focus during RP would be appropriate. I second this request.

Back to top Go down

Post by Giric Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:02 pm

I think this is generally a good idea. Thinking over examples this makes the most sense when it is your power that is applied to you. Majesty is a great example, or flesh of marble, etc.

As a question/expansion for clarification, does this include powers you use on someone else that are ongoing? examples may include: Lure of flame: Engulf, the mortis path that stakes for 3 turns, the mortis path that decays the person over your willpower in turns, Dominate effects. In some regards it could make sense to withdraw your power, but I don't feel like that is as intended.

Giric

Back to top Go down

Post by Vala Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:12 pm

In my opinion: You should be able to end a power you have used on yourself AKA like Majesty pretty easy; Probably should not be so easy for powers you use on others like Dominate.
Vala
Vala

Back to top Go down

Post by Sigfried Le Danois Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:30 pm

I think this refers to powers that have active effects.

Dominate is an instantaneous effect that once it is done the magic is gone. Even level 2 which leaves in implanted command, the command us the rsult of the power, not the power itself.
It's like viscc. Changing your face is a power but you can't just end it. Your face just looks like that now, the power was only used in the process of changing.

Sigfried Le Danois

Back to top Go down

Post by Valance Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:54 pm

The wording from the new system, we don't have to use it, just listing it for clarity.

"Unless otherwise stated, a user can cease using a power
by spending a simple action."

Valance

Back to top Go down

Post by Kendra of the Wood Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:07 pm

I agreed to this at session, however some effects will last beyond that. For example Lure of Flames can spread fires, you can extinguish the original flame yourself but the things that caught fire because of your ability will not go out. The same for Vis, or removing a heart, turning it off wont cause the flesh to move back or the heart to regrow.
Kendra of the Wood
Kendra of the Wood

Back to top Go down

Post by Sigfried Le Danois Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:34 pm

Right. That was what I was saying above. Active powers only, not the effects of powers.

Also for our sake Kendra, who are you?

Sigfried Le Danois

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:35 pm

Kendra is an NPC for STs, sometimes I forget which account I'm on and post things.

Admin
Admin

https://buffaloavalon.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sigfried Le Danois Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:40 pm

Yes, I knew that. Just wanted to make sure the Admin voice got added in.

Sigfried Le Danois

Back to top Go down

Post by Valance Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:26 am

There are some gray areas, dominate for instance. Can you remove a dominate command you placed once it is placed? Similarly entrancement, dread gaze ect

Valance

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Jacob William Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:37 am

i was under the impression dominate and dread gaze where instant change things that have lasting effects. don't think you can simply undo a dominate but re-dominating again to undo should be possible.

Lord Jacob William

Back to top Go down

Post by Player One Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:24 pm

I'm a little confused as to what necessitates this change.

Player One

Back to top Go down

Post by NarrLiam Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:57 pm

Well for example. Entrancement. There's no clear cut off in the power description. Do they stay Entranced? Does it have a timer? There's a 10 foot range for Majesty, so if someone is Entranced would the want to follow you? I know there's lots of answers on these things, but they're mostly house rulings and not bonified text in the power. I think people are looking for that particular house ruling here.

NarrLiam

Back to top Go down

Post by Valance Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:41 pm

Re Entrancement, it lasts a scene right? It's that a power duration right there? Dominate commands last for 10 min, until completed, until removed, or until they put the targets' life in danger. Not sure where, even from fluff, an impression was obtained that dominate isn't an active magic effect. Other then for this specific mechanic when would that distinction even come up?

Valance

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:49 pm

The question, I believe, is regarding the ability to turn entrancement off during the scene it was used in the above example.

Back to top Go down

Post by NarrLiam Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:10 am

Yeah that's what I was going for.

NarrLiam

Back to top Go down

Post by Player One Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:32 pm

Am I wrong for liking the idea that, lacking a defined endpoint, these powers last indefinitely?

Entrancement, for example. The breaking point is hostility from the power user. Until you're hostile towards me(which is actually a pretty fair, broad guide in a real Vampire game), I'm entranced.

Given that physical powers have a duration of "Forever"(because my success means you're either dead or as good as dead) I think it's more than fair.

Entrance away.

Player One

Back to top Go down

Post by Giric Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:40 pm

Generally the way it is interpreted is that the mechanical effect of not being able to attack you only lasts the scene, but their memory of you from that scene is favorable forever, they don't suddenly realize they think of you differently. Something along the lines of "That guy has always been an ass, but he was pretty okay today. Guess he isn't so bad."

Giric

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down